Wow. The past weeks days have have been absolutely emotional.
Anger. Grief. Sadness. Injustice.
We can't let this go on any longer. We need to stand up and speak up for those that are yelling but can't be heard.
Educate Yourself 📖
Guys, it's OKAY to not know how you can help. It's OKAY not to know what to say. It's NOT OKAY to remain ignorant. If you've realized you don't know enough about racism in America, here's a few places to start:
- There are hundreds of books on anti-racism - you can check out just a few of them here.
- Reach out. Ask POC friends how they are doing and let them know you are there for them. Focus on listening to what they have to say.
- Do your research. There are plenty of organization that provide online educational resources.
Speak Up 🗣
There are dozens of ways to make your voice heard NOW - anywhere from signing petitions to calling your local government in protest. Here's what you can do:
- Sign the change.org petition "Justice for George Floyd"
- Sign the petition demanding that the officers who killed George Floyd are charged with murder
- Call Minnesota Governor Waltz and demand justice for George Floyd (script included here)
- Register to vote in the presidential election here
Guys, even if you can only donate $5, you are still taking action! We're including some resources that need your help below, but also encourage you to do your own research on this (we can't include every worthy organization here)!
- George Floyd Memorial Fund - GoFundMe started by George's brother, Philonise to help support his family & funeral expenses
- Minnesota Freedom Fund - raising money to pay bail for incarcerated people, such as protesters
- Black Lives Matter - organization that fights to end racism and obtain equal rights for black people
- The Bail Project - organization that works nationally to help bring those incarcerated (again, such as protesters) home
Remember, doing just ONE of these things will make a difference.
Stay safe and let's rise up for our black brothers and sisters ❤️